Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

by Camilo Arenivar


OK, a lot has been said about this film. The critics are all over it. The Religous Right is horrified by it. As far as I am concerned, it is much ado about nothing.

It's a beautifully filmed movie, that much is true. The story is definitely eyebrow raising.

But um, it IS a little slow. Maybe because it's a "love story" but I almost dozed off more than once.

And I am sorry but it is definitely OVER rated.

Heath Ledger portrays the role of a tortured man wrestling with his demons excellently. Don't get me wrong, he definitely deserves his nomination and maybe even the statue for his performance.

The story, however was a little...weak.

And here's the part I mean.

Spoilers below:

One minute they're drinking fellow sheep herders and the next they are screwing in a tent. I mean come on, its like wow, he puts his arm around him and then boom he screws him and now they are into each other. I just think that part could have been handled not so...callously.
There was nothing convincing to me about their relationship except that they kept seeing each other. I don't know. I did not feel that the movie effectively conveyed what their connection was or how deep their love was. Many people see it. I don't.

I thought the visuals (scenery/cinematography) were great. I did LIKE the movie, I just didn't feel very moved by it. I have been more moved by other love stories (Moulin Rouge and The Fisher King come to mind) than by these two cowboys. As far as I was oncerned, it was lacking passion and intensity.

A very well done movie but not the epic or great film some are making out to be.

Rating: 82

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just testing this feature

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home